UPDATED!!!! On the 18th of February 2020, the Minister for Labour and Employment (Thulas Nxesi) announced an increase to the National Minimum Wage which was first implemented on the 1st of January 2019. The increase of 3.8% will take effect on the 1st of March 2020.
As per Government Gazette 43026, we can state that the National Minimum Wage shall be increased from the 1st of March 2020 and shall henceforth be as follows for the following listed categories:
- National Minimum Wage: R 20.76 per hour;
- Domestic Workers: R 15.57 per hour;
- Contract Cleaning Staff Area A*: R 22.84 per hour;
- Contract Cleaning Staff Area B**: R 23.04 per hour;
- Contract Cleaning Staff Area C***: R 20.83 per hour;
- Farm Workers: R 18.68 per hour; and
- Workers in government expanded public works programme: R11.42 per hour.
It should also be noted that the same government gazette also amended the BCEA posters which are required to be displayed in any workplace.
*Area A means: Metropolitan Councils of City of Cape Town, Greater East Rand Metro, City of Johannesburg, Tshwane and Nelson Mandela. Local Council: Emfuleni, Merafong, Mogale City, Metsimaholo, Randfontein, Stellenbosch and Westonaria
**Area B Means All Areas in Kwazulu-Natal (Note that Conditions of Employment for KZN is governed by the Main Agreement for the Bargaining Council for the Contract Cleaning Service Industry in Kwazulu-Natal (BCCCI) published in Governement Gazette 38468 on 15 February 2015.
***Area C Means the Rest of South Africa